Gathatoulie

And of these shall I speak to those eager, That quality of wisdom that all the wise wish And call creative qualities And good creation of the mind The all-powerful truth Truly and that more & better ways are discovered Towards perfection --Zarathustra.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Re: math!

If you haven't already, check out the book "Proofs Without Words:
Exercises in Visual Thinking".

There are other references to similar texts (including a sequel) on
this page:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ProofwithoutWords.html

I don't think these materials are anywhere near "comprehensive" in the
sense of teaching "Algebra Without Words". But if they work as
advertised they will certainly help tune up one's visual thinking
engine.

As for translating back to words, I don't *think* that is going to be
the hard part. (Assuming that a forward translation into pictures
really does exist.) However, there are ways I could be wrong. For
example: a kid can easily see that even added to odd is odd. A logic
student would prove "the same" result in a much more verbose and
probably less intuitive way; but really their goals are different.

I think your project is a great one to focus on and I hope I can help
with it! My more huge comics project might be a reference point to
keep on the mental horizon when thinking about the math project. (And
vice versa.)

Oh, and I'll look forward to meeting up a couple of Fridays hence.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

words cut, pasted, and otherwise munged by joe corneli otherwise known as arided.