Gathatoulie

And of these shall I speak to those eager, That quality of wisdom that all the wise wish And call creative qualities And good creation of the mind The all-powerful truth Truly and that more & better ways are discovered Towards perfection --Zarathustra.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

scarcity, excess, and sufficiency

First of all, it occurs to me that these three "regimes"
correspond to spherical, hyperbolic, and Euclidean space,
respectively.

Second, it seems interesting to ask: Which things
are scarce? Which things are there too much of?
Which things are there enough of?

And -- are these things inherently scarce, over-abundant,
or sufficient -- locally, or globally?

What can be done with a scarcity or an excess?
(E.g. in the bath, you can turn on hot or cold water
as needed -- or if the bath itself gets too full, you can
unplug the drain.)

I think there are plenty of times when I'm interacting
with what I deem to be a scarce resource (perhaps because
of "artificial" constraints -- whether or not the "artifice" is
explicitly productive) and I get into some sort of panic
mode. There will never be enough, there is nothing I can
do about it -- and so forth and so on.

I'm guessing that just by requiring myself to go through
the checklist (1) Is it locally scarce or globally scarce?
and (2) if it is only locally scarce, what can I do to get
to a position where it is sufficient? -- I might open up
mental pathways that would allow me to break out of
my panic.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

words cut, pasted, and otherwise munged by joe corneli otherwise known as arided.